Prawn curry is a staple in every goan home. This is a traditional goan recipe that we have been making from time immemorial. It uses coconut which is a staple in coastal cuisine and every family has their own version of curry. Served best with the traditional goan brown rice and not to mention pickle!
For Grinding to a paste:-
1/2 cup of grated coconut
1 medium onion fried to golden brown
1/2 tsp of turmeric powder
1/2 tsp of cumin seeds
1 small knob of tamarind
1 tsp of coriander seeds
5 garlic cloves
4 kashmiri chillies( washed and cut in half)
3 tbsp water for grinding
For the Curry:-
20 medium prawns cleaned and deveined to which I have added a half tsp of
salt and 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder
1/2 tsp of mustard seeds
1 medium onion sliced
8-10 curry leaves
ginger julienned(fine strips) around a tbsp
1 whole green chilly
1 cup of water
salt to taste
- First start off by cleaning and deveining your prawns, adding half a tsp each of salt and turmeric powder and keep it aside.
- Chop up a medium onion and saute it in a tsp of oil till golden brown.
- Once it cools , add the onion and the rest of the grinding ingredients to a grinder and grind to a smooth paste with a little water.
- In a medium saucepan, heat a tbsp of oil and once it heats up, add the mustard seeds and ginger juliennes and let the mustard seeds crackle.
- Then add the onion and curry leaves and fry till the onions turn translucent.
- Then add the spice masala paste and fry for 5-7 minutes on a low flame, till the paste changes colour and releases oil.
- Then add the prawns and stir well. Fry them in this masala for two minutes.
- Add a cup of water and season with a tsp of sugar and salt to taste.
- Cover and let it cook on a low flame for 10-12 minutes till the prawns are done.
- Add a whole green chilly. This gives the curry good flavor!
- At this stage you can adjust the thickness of the curry to your liking by either adding more water or drying it out by leaving the pan uncovered till you reach the consistency that you like.
- Always keep tasting and balance out the flavors with salt and sugar.
- Serve with steaming hot rice and thats it, lip smacking prawn curry is ready to be served